Wow … this pie is not only pretty but also has the most amazing fruit flavors! This is easy to prepare, and worth the effort.
Crust: (Use your own favorite crust recipe, a prepared pie crust or this one:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting and rolling
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 oz cold cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ice water
- 2 lbs. assorted apples (Gala, Fuji or Honeycrisp)
- 8 oz thawed frozen mixed berries (e.g. black berries, raspberries, blueberries)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp turbinado sugar
- Pulse the flour and salt together in a food processor. Add 2 tbsp butter; pulse a few more times until the mixture looks like cornmeal. Add remaining 4 tbsp butter and pulse until mixture is a pea-size shape. Add the cream cheese; pulse a few more times until the dough comes together. Add the vinegar and 1 tbsp cold water; pulse a few times until the dough is moist. Divide the dough into two pieces; wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm; 1 hour or overnight.
- Place a baking sheet on the middle oven rack and preheat to 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- Peel and slice the apples; add to mixed berries, granulated sugar, flour, vanilla, butter and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Roll out 1 portion of the chilled dough to a 12-inch round. Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Fold the edges under and crimp. Add the filling. Roll out the remaining dough into an 8-inch round. Slice into 14-15 strips. Brush each strip with the beaten egg wash on both sides. One at a time, twist the strips of dough and working from the center of the pie outward, arrange the strips on the top of the pie into one continuous coil.
- Brush the top with the remaining egg wash. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top of the coiled pie strips. Place the pie onto the heated baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking until the crust is golden brown, the filling is bubbling and the apples are tender. (tent the pie should the top crust brown too quickly) Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely, then place into the refrigerator to cool and set up.