I love breakfast breads of almost any kind, but when I ran across this recipe I had to try it. Randy’s favorite breakfast is an apple fritter, and this really met all the requirements.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used almond extract instead)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 apples, cored and peeled (mix with 2 tbsp granulated sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon; set aside)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and line a 9×5-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In another medium bowl, beat granulated sugar with butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended. Add in vanilla.
- Combine and whisk together flour and baking powder. Add into the creamed mixture and stir until blended. Add in milk and mix until fully incorporated. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Add half of the apples and half of the brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat the apple mixture into the batter. Pour remaining batter over the apple mixture; top with remaining apples and then remaining brown sugar mixture. Again, lightly pat the apple mixture into the batter. Use a knife to gently swirl the brown sugar mixture into the apples.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting out onto a wire rack to cool. Prepare glaze.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 tbsp milk or cream
- Stir together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth and drizzling consistency. Drizzle heavily over the top of the cooling bread. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.