Our favorite cutout that has a buttery flavor and rolls out perfectly. This is a cookie that stores well in the freezer, and it will ship nicely if you have a special someone that you want to send a special treat to for the holidays. Keep this recipe around as it’s good anytime of the year. Just keep your favorite cookie cutters handy for any holiday of the year.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup extra fine sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large stand mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. While the mixer is running on low speed, gradually add the butter, one piece at a time, beating just until mixture is crumbly. Add cream cheese and vanilla extract. Beat just until the dough forms a ball.
- Shape dough into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a 1/8-1/2-inch thickness. Dip your cookie cutter into flour before proceeding to cut out your favorite shapes. Place cookies onto the prepared baking sheet. Dough scraps can be combined and re-rolled for additional cutouts. Bake 7-9 minutes, or until edges of cookies start to brown. Do NOT overbake. Allow cookies to rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Now it’s time to decorate them. If you have a favorite recipe for Royal Icing use it. If not, here are two options for you to consider … both of which I like.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp Meringue powder
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 cup water
- In a stand mixer with a whip attachment, combine powdered sugar and meringue powder. With the mixer running, add water and almond extract. Increase speed to medium high until stiff peaks form, 5-7 minutes.
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer with a whip attachment, whip egg whites with the lemon juice until frothy. Gradually add powdered sugar and whip on low until smooth.