Randy has a birthday coming up and this is one of his fav’s and his request for his birthday cake. This is a moist cake that is infused with coconut flavor. This recipe you want to hang onto!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter – softened
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Coconut Extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 6 oz. Flaked Coconut
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare four 9-inch round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, butter, milk, baking powder and salt. Beat until well blended. Add extracts and thoroughly combine. Add eggs, one at a time. Stir in flaked coconut.
- Pour batter equally into prepared pans. Bake 20 minutes, or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to fully cool.
- Prepare coconut filling
Ingredients for Coconut Filling:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (6 oz) packages frozen flaked coconut, thawed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cook sugar, milk, eggs and flour in a large saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly to avoid scorching (12-15 minutes) or until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and vanilla. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Spread equally between layers, but not on the top of the last layer.
- Prepare frosting
Ingredients for frosting:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 pkg Whipit (optional)
- 1 cup coconut shavings-toasted
- Using a large non-stick frying pan, lightly brown coconut shavings on stovetop over medium heat. This will take only a few minutes-keep stirring until lightly browned. Cool.
- Beat heavy cream on high speed until foamy. Gradually add confectioners sugar. (Optional: add Whipit to help keep the whipped cream stable)
- Spread whipped cream on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle toasted coconut shavings on top and sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve.