Yields 4-6 Servings
- 3 pounds raw mussels in shells
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 6 celery sticks, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups fish broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Kosher salt to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Make sure none of the mussels have opened. Clean mussels with a stiff brush under running water.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the paprika, green onions and celery. Saute and stir until soft but not brown. Add the mussels(in shells), parsley, wine and fish stock. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, about 8 minutes. Throw out any mussels that remain closed.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove mussels from the liquid. Strain liquid and measure liquid. If liquid does not reach 4 cups, add additional fish broth. Return liquid to saucepan.
- Add cream to the soup. Bring to a soft boil over high heat, then reduce heat and continue cooking until soup has reduced by 1/4 amount. Lower heat to medium. Taste and add salt if needed. Add the mussels back into the liquid. Remove from heat. Add mussels back in the soup, cover and allow mussels to come back up to temperature. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.