- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped crystalized ginger
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1/4 cup butter in a 9-inch round pan, or a cast iron frying pan; heat in oven as oven heats up. When pan is hot, tilt the pan to swirl melted butter up the sides of the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp crystalized ginger over the bottom. Arrange sliced apples over the mixture; set aside.
- Prepare the batter, in a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ground ginger and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Spoon over the sliced apples.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; invert onto a serving platter.