I love banana bread, and when I saw Mario Cantone make this on the View using 8 bananas!!!! I’ve never heard of using this many bananas so I’m trying right now … I have three loaves in the oven baking as I type this. So before even trying it myself I thought I’d share it with you.
- 7-8 large ripe bananas (frozen and then thawed)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray or line three 8x4inch loaf pans.
- If using fresh bananas, mash them and set aside. If using frozen bananas, thaw in a microwave or on the countertop until softened; mash and set aside. Note: bananas that have been frozen and then thawed make breads and cakes richer in flavor.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar (next time I’m going to substitute with brown sugar). Beat in eggs, one at a time until completed blended. Add vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, alternating with the mashed bananas. Do this fairly quickly as you do NOT want to over mix the batter.
- Pour equally into the three prepared loaf pans. Bake 60 minutes – monitor closely after 50 minutes to ensure you do NOT over bake. Maintain the moistness by slightly under baking. Turn out onto a wire rack immediately; wrap each loaf with foil and allow them to cool for five hours before serving.