This is another great appetizer that I tried out last weekend at the 14th Presidential Inauguration of Illinois College. This was part of the evening party hosted by President Barbara Farley and 60 of her closest friends!
These take a bit to prepare, but I had trouble keeping ahead of the guests eating them. The aroma is incredible and the taste even better.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped fine
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Jalapeno, minced
- 3 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tomato-diced small
- In a medium saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions; cover and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. At the end of 30 minutes, remove cover and raise heat to medium-high. Stir onions frequently until brown, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in 1/2 tsp salt and pepper; remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine avocado, cilantro, minced Jalapeno, lime juice, and garlic salt. Cover and set aside.
- When onions are cool, chop finely. Combine onions(plus any juice), chicken, cheese, sour cream, chipotle pepper, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, and cumin.
- With a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, cut out 36 rounds from the 3 tortillas. Grease baking sheet with olive oil. Place 1 tbsp chicken mixture on each tortilla round. Place on greased baking sheet. Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Top with avocado mixture and a few pieces of chopped tomato. Serve immediately.