Here is a keeper when it comes to chocolate cake recipes. It’s moist, very flavorful and the icing is soft and yummy. It’s simply a pretty little cake that is very easy to prepare and your guests will have a smile on their face from ear to ear.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules (I used Expresso granules)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the center. Spray and line two 8 inch round or square baking pans.
- Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, combine water, oil, vinegar, instant coffee and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients with dry and whisk until just combined. Divide batter between the prepared pans, then bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool cakes on rack for 15 minutes, then turn out on rack to fully cool.
Glossy Chocolate Icing
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Stir in sugar, cocoa and salt. Mixture will be thick and grainy.
- Combine heavy cream, sour cream and instant coffee in a large measuring cup, mixing until smooth. Gradually add cream mixture to chocolate until blended and smooth. Cook until the sugar has fully dissolved and the mixture is smooth and hot to the touch, 6-8 minutes. Do NOT boil.
- Remove from the heat. Add vanilla extract and stir. Set aside and cool at room temperature until spreadable, 2-3 hours. (Optional: cool in refrigerator until set up) If icing is too firm, Heat in microwave for 20 seconds.
- Spread approximately 1 cup of prepared icing on top of first layer. Add second layer and continue to frost, starting in the middle of the layer and moving out and down the sides.