Here is a rich, refreshing bar that stores well and actually tastes better after a couple of days in the refrigerator.
I recently found this recipe in a magazine and thought … why not? I wasn’t too sure about adding chopped nuts in the crust, but I have to tell you that the nutty flavors that come out in the crust as well as within the filling makes this dessert. I know I said earlier in that this was a bar recipe, but this is so good I’d have no concerns serving this as your dessert for any dinner menu. Here is the recipe.
- 1 cup butter-softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 pkgs (8 oz each) cream cheese-softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 box (4 oz serving size) pistachio instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom and sides of 13×9 baking pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 2/3 cup powdered sugar on low speed until blended. Increase your mixer speed to medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in flour and baking powder. Stir in nuts. Press dough into bottom of pan. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Do NOT over bake. Cool completely in pan on wire rack for 1 hour.
- In a chilled medium bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat for 1 minute. Fold in vanilla and 1 1/2 cups of the whipped heavy cream. Spread over baked crust. Refrigerate.
- In medium bowl, whisk dry pudding mix and 1 cup milk until thickened. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, fold together pudding and remaining whipped cream. Spread over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.