Cake or jelly rolls are really not the challenge that everyone thinks. It takes a few steps, but it goes quickly and the end result is so worth it. You need to use a true jelly roll pan, 10×15 to get the correct thickness. Since pumpkin is a favorite, this recipe works for many occasions.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10×15 jelly roll pan, line with waxed paper – set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick and light yellow in color. Add pumpkin and lemon juice – mix until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Add to egg mixture – mixing well. Spread batter into prepared jelly roll pan. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Lay out a large tea towel sprinkled generously with powdered sugar. Flip out cake on top of towel and cool another 10 minutes. From the shorter side, roll cake up into the towel. Set aside. While cake is cooling, prepare filling.
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese-softened
- 4 tablespoons butter-softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat Cream Cheese and butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Carefully unroll the cake, remove the wax paper.
- Spread the Cream Cheese carefully. Roll up the cake (without the towel). Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
Note: this pumpkin roll freezes well. Makes 10 servings.