There is nothing better than a rhubarb crisp. Well, until I added the flavor of strawberry to it. Here is a simple recipe that is easy to make and will delight even the fussiest of eaters! Serve it straight up, with fresh whipped cream, or better yet – homemade vanilla ice cream! Yummmmmmm.
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Quick Oats
- 1/2 cup butter-melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups rhubarb-diced fresh or frozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 oz. box Strawberry gelatin
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter bottom and sides of an 8-inch baking dish.
- In mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and cinnamon. Mix together until crumbly. Press half of this mixture into the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- Mix gelatin with rhubarb until well combined. Pour into crust.
- In saucepan, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Cook together, stirring until the mixture turns clear. Pour this over the rhubarb. Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 45-50 minutes.
I usually chill this before serving. And of course it tastes so much better with fresh whipped cream or homemade vanilla ice cream. Or why not both?