The gardens are overflowing with greatness this time of year. For us it’s the Farmer’s Market … everything that you could possibly imagine in one stop! We are at the height of the gardening season right now so every where you look you find peppers …. jalapeno, banana, hungarian … you name it. So it also means it’s time to make a favorite, Sausage and Peppers. Here is my recipe for this spicy but flavorful meal in a pan!
- 18-20 mixed peppers – make sure you have a blend of hot, spicy and sweet
- 1 1/2 lbs spicy bulk italian sausage
- 2 pieces Chorizo sausage
- 2 pieces Andoille sausage
- 1/2 ring of Kielbasa sausage
- 2 medium onions-sliced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 large potatoes-peeled and quartered (alternative – use fingerling potatoes sliced lengthwise)
- 1 stick butter-divided
- Use a large skillet – cast iron preferred. Add in the bulk sausage and brown over medium heat. When the sausage is about half cooked, add in the Chorizo, Andoille and Kielbasa. Stir to avoid over browning the meat. When the meat has fully browned, remove it from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat – add 4 tbsp butter and allow to melt. Add in the potatoes – stirring occasionally but allowing them to brown. After turning the potatoes once, add in the sliced onions and garlic. Continue to stir occasionally allowing the onions and potatoes to take on color without scorching. Add in the hot peppers and stir. If needed, add more butter. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan for 4-6 minutes to aide in peppers to cook and soften.
- Total cook time should be 25-35 minutes – but will vary depending upon potato and pepper doneness.