Everyone has at least 2-3 good cornbread recipes. I keep trying them, finding a few that hit the right note and stay in the recipe folder. This is one that I’ve done some adapting to and it seems to be a big favorite for guests. Serve it warm!
- 1 1/4 cups Ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 sticks butter-divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a pastry brush to wipe on the vegetable oil on the sides and bottom of a 9-inch cast iron pan. Place in the oven while the oven is preheating
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, buttermilk, eggs and one stick butter-melted. Combine this mixture with dry mixture – do not over mix this.
- Remove hot pan from oven. Quickly pour in mixture and spread as necessary. Return pan to oven and bake 20-25 minutes.
- A few minutes before cornbread is to come out of the oven, melt 1/2 stick of butter. Add in honey – stir to fully combine. When cornbread comes out of oven, use a chop stick or a fork to poke holes in the top. Pour warm butter/honey over the top – allow bread to cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tbsp granulated sugar over the top. Slice and serve.