What a summer time treat with cake and strawberries … two favorites in one!
I know this will come off as a bit like cheating … with a cake mix I mean. But it works and I’m not messing with it if it isn’t broken! Just make sure that you use nicely ripened strawberries. The taste is so much better than those you find in the grocery that are very large, but when you slice into them the middle is kind of hollow. As far as the cake mix brand, I prefer Duncan Hines but Pillsbury is my second runner up. I’m also going to give you my version of the frosting simply because I love cream cheese where by the original recipe called for all butter! It made the frosting all slide right off the cake!
- 1 (18.25 oz) White Cake mix
- 3 oz box Strawberry gelatin
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries-finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 3 – 9″ round pans with baking spray and a parchment liner.
- Using a stand mixer with a large bowl, add all the ingredients and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter equally into the 3 prepared pans. Bake 23 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to fully cool.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter-softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 32 oz. powdered sugar-sifted
- 1 cup fresh strawberries-finely chopped
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, almond extract and strawberries and beat on low/medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Spread enough frosting on first layer to fully cover. Top with 2nd cake layer, frost the top the same as the first layer. Add 3rd and final cake layer. Frost the top first before the sides of the cake.
- This cake must remain refrigerated because of the cream cheese in the frosting.