Stuffed peppers have never really appealed to me, at least not until now. I finally made up a recipe that is not overwhelmed with pepper tastes and has a great balance with that of the sausage and rice. Try this one and let me know what you think.
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon
- 4 large bell peppers-mix green, red or yellow if you like
- 1 medium onion-small dice
- 1 lb spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine rice, bouillon and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid has dissipated.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tops off peppers, deseed the inside as well as any of the pepper membrane. Arrange peppers in baking dish – use the right size so that peppers stand up in the pan. Chop the usable parts of the tops.
- Using a large skillet, brown the sausage. When almost brown, add the chopped top of peppers as well as the onion. Continue to brown for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the tomato sauce and the cooked rice. Mix well. Add in the cheese and mix. Test for flavor – season with pepper and add salt as needed.
- Spoon the mixture into each pepper, filling just slightly above the tops. Spoon he remaining tomato sauce over the tops. Add a small amount of water in the bottom of the pan – maybe 1/4 cup. Cover with foil and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until pepper is fork tender. Optional: last 15 minutes sprinkle additional shredded mozzarella cheese over tops and allow to bake uncovered.