I love squash anytime of the year, but right now it’s in season and is plentiful. So I put this together in an effort to create a full meal in one dish, using all the ingredients I really enjoy. I used a Buttercup squash and Spicy Chicken Sausage, which worked out great for two of us, eating half one night and the leftover half the night after. If you want to make this for a dinner party having individual servings, try using an Acorn squash instead. Here is my recipe:
- 1 fresh squash – Buttercup, Butternut or Acorn
- Salt & Pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage – pork or turkey
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced small
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 8-12 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice squash in half: if using a buttercup or acorn – slice it side to side, butternut can be sliced end for end. Scrape out the seeds and salt and pepper the squash lightly. Turn the halves cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and turn squash halves cut side up and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- While the squash is baking, add uncooked rice, bouillon and 3 cups water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Gently cook until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brown sausage, bell pepper and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato sauce and pepper flakes.
- Scoop out some of the squash flesh from each half. Be careful not to remove too much so as the shell is not firm enough to stand by itself; set aside.
- Add the squash, cooked rice and 1 cook of the shredded cheese to the cooked sausage mixture, mixing to fully combine. Transfer the squash and sausage mixture equally to the squash shells, mounded high in the middle. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Place squash in oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until top is browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.