Last Sunday we attended a condo gathering of friends to watch the Vikings blast the Packers! It is always a fun time with these folks, and while the wine and beer flowed, so did some rather good appetizers that folks brought to share. Our friend Steve Ylvisaker brought a plate of warm, crispy wonton filled cups, filled with sausage, spinach and cheese. They were so light and tasty, and a recipe worth sharing with others. So this is Steve’s recipe for all of you to try.
- 1 pkg of Wonton wraps
- 2 tbsp oil, Pistachio or vegetable oil
- half of a red or yellow pepper, chopped small
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and then diced finely
- 2 pieces of sun dried tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 carrot, diced fine
- 1 stalk celery, diced finely
- 2/3 of a small bag of baby spinach
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Pinch of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 6-10 mushrooms, diced small
- 2 cups mozzarella or swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a mini-muffin pan with baking spray. Press one wonton wrap into each cup, making sure to press it into all the corners and sides of the muffin cup. Take care not to tear the wonton, as the mixture will leak through if you do. Once the wontons have been pressed into the muffin cups, 24 in total, spray the wonton wraps with baking spray. Bake for 5-8 minutes, or until they start to brown. These will be baked a second time so care needs to be taken during this step so as not to over bake them. Remove from the oven; set aside.
- To prepare the filling, saute the peppers, garlic, sun-dried tomato, carrot and celery until tender. Add the spinach, stir and allow it to wilt. Transfer mixture to a bowl; set aside to cool.
- Once the mixture has completely cooled, add the eggs and Italian seasoning and mix until completely incorporated. The mixture will be fairly thick; set aside.
- To prepare the toppings, brown the sausage in a medium frying pan, breaking the sausage into small pieces.
- In a separate pan, saute the mushrooms; cook 2-3 minutes.
- Grate or shred the cheese into a separate bowl.
Time to assemble and bake:
- Loosen each wonton cup from the muffin pan to ensure easier serving.
- Spoon a small amount of the spinach mixture into each cup, about 1/2 full. To that add a small spoon of sausage to each cup. Top with a few cooked mushrooms and cheese. Lightly press down on each wonton cup; top off with any remaining sausage, cheese and any spices for flavoring; e.g. pizza spice.
- Return to oven and bake just until the cheese melts and sausage has warmed. Take care not to burn the wonton shells. Serve warm right from the oven!