Let me ask you …. who doesn’t like a good brownie? But it has to be moist, rich with chocolate flavor without overpowering the taste sensors. And for me , I don’t care for the “less than done” texture. I want the brownie to be completely baked, and with a great frosting that melts in your mouth. My mom always made big pans of brownies with a favorite recipe of hers that centered on chocolate sauce out of a can. I’m not quite there on that recipe, but let me share the one I use and always seems to be a family favorite.
Ingredients for brownies:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 10×15 baking pan with a light baking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add water and cocoa and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Combine flour, sugar, soda and salt – whisk to combine.
- Combine cocoa mixture and flour mixture and whisk to combine. Add sour cream and continue to whisk until well combined. The batter will be smooth and rich.
- Pour into a prepared baking pan. Bake 25 minutes – do NOT over bake!
Ingredients for frosting:
The frosting needs to be ready when the brownies come out of the oven – so begin this a few minutes before the timer goes off.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp whole milk
- 3 tbsp baking cocoa
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter (optional)
- 3 3/4 cup confectioners sugar-sifted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Directions for frosting:
In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add milk, cocoa and peanut butter if you adding it as the optional flavor. Whisk to combine – bring to a boil. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in confectioners sugar until smooth and creamy. Immediately pour over warm brownies that have just come out of the oven. Spread to cover the entire pan of brownies. Allow to set up before cutting and serving.
Option: After pouring frosting over brownies, melt 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips. Working quickly, drizzle over the frosted brownies.