A favorite of ours is a good, cream based soup. So what better than Wild Rice Soup? It can be easily changed up by exchanging the ham for pre-cooked chicken. Either way you will love the richness of the soup and like everything else, it’s so easy and quick to make.
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cook the rice in salted water – covered. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 small onion-finely diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup half-n-half
- 1 tbsp cooking sherry
- 1/3 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup ham-diced in small cubes
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
- Melt butter and saute onions
- Add flour and stir to fully combine and cook for two minutes
- Add water and bouillon cubes – stirring to combine. Boil 5 minutes.
- Add half-n-half, sherry, carrots, ham and almonds.
- Add cooked rice and mix well to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Note: this soup is better the next day!