I was really hesitant to make this, but Randy kept asking for it several times each week. I thought he had actually forgot about it, but Saturday is Farmer’s Market day for us and it was the first thing that he asked about buying. So, I decided to give it a whirl, convinced that I would hate it and never have to make it again. Well folks, I was wrong, really wrong! This is delicious and something that is keeps well as a leftover to reheat the next day. You can use a store bought pastry crust, but I made the cream cheese crust that is described below and it was PERFECT! Take the time to make it and enjoy this quiche like dish with someone you want to impress.
Cream Cheese Crust Ingredients:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, snipped
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in the heavy cream. Combine flour and salt; add to cream cheese mixture. Do not overmix.
- Use your hands to pull the dough together into a disk shape. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, divide the dough in half. Using one half of the dough, roll out on a slightly floured surface to a 12-inch circle (enough that it will overlap the sides of a 9-inch pie dish). Trim the dough and roll under the edges – Do NOT crimp the edges, just roll them under.
- Freeze the remaining half of the dough for future use.
- Use a fork to poke about 5 holes in the bottom of the crust. Bake at 450 degrees for 7-8 minutes, just until it has taken on color.
- You will need to overlap a bit so that this filling is ready at the same time the pie crust comes out of the oven. Cook the zucchini, green onion and garlic in the butter for about 10-12 minutes. Stir in the parsley, basil, salt, oregano and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, cheese and mustard. Whisk until smooth. Stir mixture into the zucchini mixture. Combine thoroughly, pour into the baked pie crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let pie stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.